06 February, 2010

Backlog 3: Now or Never

My realization did not come in the best of the times. I sprained my lower back within a month after my return from US. It was severe which put me into bed rest for a good number of days. But there is always a positive outcome from everything. I started understanding life, its meaning and its meaninglessness. I started questioning many things happening around us and it helped me to broaden my knowledge horizon. I was getting closer to my self-realization. And when that happens it’s the passion that lifts you to achieve something which you never did before. The organization changes in my office also did not help me with my causes. I was pretty much emotionally drained but my passion always made me look forward. As my friend quotes, “Jab ho mushkil waqt, commando ho sakth”.

A disciplined effort allowed me to write once again THE CAT, but the result was same. No calls from any of the colleges. It made me think again, re-look my entire theory and plans. And that’s the time when I realized a basic characteristic of Indian MBA. We don’t practice what we preach.

This piece of information I am sure will be useful to many of the aspirants, so it becomes important for me to share it with all. One of the basic things that we don’t realize is that every college is good in its own way and has its own share of drawbacks. If you have noticed, every magazine and other media source has its own way of ranking B-schools and we see they always vary. Similarly we all individuals have different characteristics and different aspirations. One has to be very clear about that and try connecting it with what the different institutes are offering. Every institute, school, college and organization have a unique thing to offer. So make sure you are picking the right one here. No institute is good and none of them are bad as well. It’s only when there is a mismatch of your aspirations with what institute offers that we start giving negative feedbacks about it. So be clear with that.

Unfortunately most of the B-schools in India show same stuff in their websites even when their offerings are distinct in nature. It seems they just don’t want to put any effort in that and end up making a lousy one. So the option that is left with you is just to find out their teaching methodology, their focus and their long term view. ISB focuses on placements and so does IIMs. IIM-A focuses more on Finance side whereas IIM-B focuses more on IT side. I can be wrong here, it’s just my personal view. And I would suggest everybody to do their own research before coming to any conclusion.

Another glaring finding was that none of these courses are meant for experienced candidates. Though what is being preached is that experienced people stands a better chance to become good managers , what is being practiced is that the institutes simple discard them. And the reason is that the course has been designed in such a way that it is meant for fresh grads as an extension of graduation) The course is quite rigorous and requires good academic capabilities. And that justifies the CAT. What doesn’t justify is the institute’s unwillingness to come out with truth. In short, if you have more than 2.5 to 3 years of work experience, it is better to stop trying for a 2 year course.

No comments: